Primary AuthorChara Scroope,
- Corporal punishment by any name or means is prohibited in Sweden. Smacking children or any similar behaviour is highly frowned upon.
- The indigenous population in Sweden – the Sami – are sometimes called ‘Lapps’. This is a derogatory term and is not encouraged in Sweden.
- In March 2017, Sweden reintroduced military conscription largely due to the increased military activity occurring in Eastern Europe. The draft covers men and women born from 1999 onwards. Around a third of those will be selected for basic military training.
- Many Swedes enjoy cycling as a main mode of transport. Indeed, bicycles are found throughout the country, particularly in the major cities of Stockholm and Malmö.
- Sweden has a reigning monarch who is the head of state. However, the monarch has no political power; their responsibilities are only ceremonial.
Get a downloadable PDF that you can share, print and read.