Dates of Significance
The following are significant days in the Saudi calendar. Islamic dates of significance are based on the Islamic lunar calendar, and therefore the actual dates vary from year to year.
- Holy Month of Ramadan
- End of Ramadan – Eid al-Fitr
- Feast of Sacrifice – Eid al-Adha
- Islamic New Year – Muharram*
- Birthday of the Prophet Muhammad – Mawlid an-Nabi*
- Saudi National Day (23rd of September)
* These days are not celebrated in Wahhabi Islam or recognised as national days in Saudi Arabia. However, they are celebrated by some non-Wahhabi Muslim minorities (such as Shi’ites) in various regions.