- Communication Style: Maltese tend to speak loudly and expressively. Subtle ways of communicating (such as whispering) are quite rare.
- : Maltese are generally direct communicators, often speaking their minds in a humourous way.
- Humour: Maltese are quite humorous and enjoy jokes. Humour tends to be light-hearted and is often expressed through telling stories.
- Personal Space: The Maltese tend to keep less personal space, often sitting or standing quite close to one another,
- Physical Contact: The Maltese tend to be quite and affectionate people. Hugging, kissing and back-slapping in public are common.
- Eye Contact: Maltese usually hold direct eye contact during conversation.
- Punctuality: Maltese typically have a relaxed approach towards timekeeping and punctuality. This is commonly referred to as ‘island time’.
- Gestures: The Maltese use a variety of gestures in conversation. Quickly lifting your thumb, index and middle fingers of your right hand means ‘how are you’.